What does a Postpartum Doula do?
As your postpartum doula there are many ways I can support you and your family. The word "doula" comes from the ancient Greek word meaning,"a woman who serves." Now, it has taken on a more defined meaning - a caregiver who is professionally trained to support, empower and educate mothers and families through their postpartum period--without judgment.
A few things I offer are:
- guidance in decoding your newborn's behaviors and cues
- household help such as light tidying, laundry, and food prep
- a chance to get some sleep
- tips for soothing your fussy or gassy baby
- feeding support (breast and/or bottle)
- referrals to professionals when needed
- to empower, nurture, respect and care for the whole family unit
Some things I don't offer are:
- to drive clients or children
- to administer medication to children
- to deep clean your home (I have resources for housekeepers I'm happy to share)
- to exclusively babysit siblings